Learn how Google Tag Manager can help track relevant objectives for your organisation and improve website performance
Webinar recording – Google Tag Manager for absolute beginners
In this article
Please note: This webinar references a version of Google Analytics which will stop working on 1 July 2023. It is recommended to switch to a new website analytics platform such as Google Analytics 4 as soon as possible. Find out more with the following resources:
- Google analytics will stop working next year – here are your options
- Introduction to Google Analytics 4
- Getting started with Google Analytics 4
About the webinar
What is Google Tag Manager? How is it different from Google Universal Analytics? Why should I use Google Tag Manager? Join James Akers, our Data Analytics and Insight Tech Champion, for this 70 minute webinar to learn the basics of Google Tag Manager.
As the third in a series in web analytics and we recommend watching the first two webinar recordings to help build understanding of the subject:
- Google Universal Analytics for absolute beginners
- How to audit your Google Universal Analytics account
You will learn
- Get an overview of Google Tag Manager and how it works
- The steps of setting up an account
- The benefits of using Google Tag Manager
- Common tags and tracking useful for Arts and Culture organisations
- The next steps to implement and get the most out of the platform
Resources and links
Google Tag Manager recipe
The recipe includes the following Tags:
- Google Analytics pageviews
- File Downloads
- Outbound Link Clicks
- Email Clicks
- Phone Clicks
- YouTube Video Interaction
Once you have imported the recipe there are two Variables which need updating:
- Edit the value field and add your website address without the http or www. E.g. for https://pgh.org.uk you would enter phm.org.uk
- This Variable is used by the Outbound Link clicks Tag to check whether it is your website or not
- Google Universal Analytics ID
- Edit the Tracking ID field and enter your Google Analytics ID (it begins with UA-). You will find this in your Google Analytics account by navigating to Admin > Property > Property settings.
- This Variable is used by all the Tags in this recipe to know which account it should send the information to
Google Tag Manager recipes (Bounteous)
Vimeo tracking recipe (Bounteous)
Google Tag Manager Fundamentals (Google Analytics Academy)
The Digital Culture Network is here to support you and your organisation. Our Tech Champions can provide free 1-2-1 support to all arts and cultural organisations who are in receipt of, or eligible for, Arts Council England funding. If you need help or would like to chat with us about any of the advice we have covered above, please get in touch. Sign up to our newsletter below and follow us on Twitter @ace_dcn for the latest updates.
Related content by topic
A webinar for arts and cultural organisations to learn how to set objectives, find the right channels and prove return on investment.
Learn how to improve the data quality in Google Analytics and customise your account to unlock actionable insight for your organisation
More by the author
What can you learn from the data your organisation holds? Read on to understand how to get started on analysing your data and using it to effect positive change.
Explore our top tips for embracing Data Analytics & Insight in your organisation.